How well do you know your team?
A key part of Leadership is communicating with and motivating people you work with and it’s worth spending some time thinking about who you work with and how they respond to situations.
What drives others?
Think about how each member of your team behaves particularly when decision making under tight deadlines, or when the stakes are high:
- Risk – are they a risk taker?
- Time – do they need lots of time to think or do they prefer to act?
- Decisions – are their decisions based on consultation or instinct?
- People – how important is consensus to them in moving forward?
- Projects – are they process oriented or do they favour relational aspects?
The differences in these behavioural preferences reflect the individual’s key drivers and what is important to them to be in place to move forward. Recognising and responding to these can have a big impact on how the individuals respond. It aids you in planning communication strategies both with them as individuals and collectively as a team.